Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cltoh77

RSLogix5000

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I am new on control logix, but I have some exprience on SLC. Due to the request of customer, now I need to modify a ladder diagram written in SLC and run it on Control Logix, maybe somebody can tell me how difficult to do it? If I want using ladder diagram and function block on the same Control Logix processor, is it possible and anything to take note? Any input are deeply appreciated.

From the RSLogix 5000 help file under "Translate PLC/SLC" 1. Convert a PLC-5/SLC Program to ControlLogix You can migrate a project from a PLC-5 or SLC-500 controller for use in ControlLogix. The ControlLogix architecture is very different from these other controllers. Most programs will require changes to run on ControlLogix, however, the translator tool does much of the simple conversion for you. See the RSLogix 5000 Translation tool help for details about the conversion. To perform a translation to ControlLogix: 1. Obtain the PLC-5 or SLC-500 program in text form. For the PLC-5, you need the. PC5def file and the corresponding .TXT file. For the SLC-500, you need the .SLC file and the corresponding .TXT file. 2. From the Tools menu, choose Translate PLC5/SLC. 3. Perform the conversion inside the translation tool. 4. From the File menu, choose Open. 5. Enter the file name or select the .L5K file. 6. Enter the controller name to use in the new project file. 7. Click on the Import button. The file will be imported into a new project file. 8. From the Logic menu, choose Verify>Controller to find areas where the translation tool may not have been able to translate completely. Important: Even if the controller does verify, it does not mean that the conversion was completely successful. Inspect and test the converted logic thoroughly before running it. Second question. Yes it is perfectly easy to run both ladder routines and FD routines in the same processor. When creating the routine, the type is simply a property option you select. You will however need the "Professional" version of RSLogix5000 to do this.

Depending on the size and compexity of the SLC program, I would look into rewriting the code in CLX. This will allow for you to use the features of the 5000. Also, when the conversion code is complete the 5000 will look more like a SLC because the tagnames will take on the same as the SLC. I have found that this can be a problem later down the road, especially for the staff that is to support this new program.