Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nathan

Ab Plcs And Sql Database Support

2 posts in this topic

First, this post is a biased because I support FactorySQL and FactoryPMI by Inductive Automation. I have specific features that I was wondering if the big vendors support with respect to software that works with AB PLCs. FactorySQL will bi-directionally synchronize PLC registers to standard SQL databases? RSSQL kind of does this through one way transactions. Are there other commercial products that do this? FactoryPMI allows unlimited concurrent web based HMI clients. A cool advantage of "web based" over "distributed" is that there is no client side install or configuration. Are there any other HMI/SCADA packages that offer this web based functionality? I've used both RSView and Wonderware, but am slightly out of date. I'd appreciate specific points rather than "Rockwell is best" or "Wonderware kicks butt" sort of answers. My last question is what databases vendors support. Oracle's the big question. I know most support MS SQL Server. Is there a way of getting these to work with MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc? ---- Nathan Boeger Integrator, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer Inductive Automation

If I am understanding you right, I personally have shyed away from proprietary systems, MSSQL (not that MSSQL isn't) is largly supported as you say and there are many ways of doing it with AB as an example RSLinx Pro, Dev, or Gateway versions use OPC or DDE Topics. I have also done it with Serially via a Visual Basic Module. For wide spread HMI distribution I have used several different things, ranging from fancier Operator interfaces with built in web servers, such as Red Lion interfacing to AB, or even to RSView. Newer versions of RSView (FactoryTalk products) you can brouse across the network get the data points right from the controller as you build your app, so network addressing is almost nonexistant. The main question I or my customers have is, if there is a problem, who is the backup support provider for the system. This is a large factor that most of the time out-weights the cost, because the answer that I hear is something like Rockwell, or another integrater, which most commonly has AB Knoledge and not MSSQL or any other DB knoledge, with the exception of RSSQL. So most of the compnaies that I deal with will go with an all Rockwell Solution, because they are not the billion dollar or even million company even though AB cost more. If I told you how much Rockwell / AB pisses me off with there support system and pricing system, at this point you probably wouldn't believe me. At least around Southwestern MI, the AB support and distribution compaines are so readily, unfortunatly most people go with what is right in front of them. As for Oracle, I don't know of anyone around here that supports it. I only know of one company around here that even uses it, and it is not being used inconjunction with and industrial automation. I support MSSQL, and Access, and only in conjunction with industrial automation.