Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tgorupMFT

Dh485 Network Damage?

4 posts in this topic

I hope someone can help me out here. Here is my equipment configuation. We have 5 AB SLC 5/03's all connected to 1747-AIC Link Couplers that are all networked together. Then the office PC was connected to a 1747-UIC. At one time everything was working fine, from the PC you could see and talk to all 5 SLCs and 4 panelviews. A person working behind the office shorted out the Cat5 cable that was connecting the pc to the DH485 network, and now no matter which 1747-AIC I plug into, in linx various slcs pop up saying connected for a sec then have a red x on them. The weird thing is the PLCs are still able to talk to each other and our equipment is working fine. I did replace the 1747-UIC USB adaptor, from the wire shorting out it did screw that up, but still cant see anything from it. Could all the Link couplers gone bad? Im lost here.

What happens if you pull the phoenix plug off each AIC? Can you plug into the individual AICs and see anything?

Ok, Im not sure which one is the phoenix plug, so this is what I did. On machine 1, I unplugged the DH485 plug and hooked up the UIC and I could see that machines SLC and Panelview, if I then plugged up the DH485 plug I get a bunch of garbage info comming up in linx and nothing connected, not even the SLC or Panelview that was just connected. On Machine 2 it did not matter what was plugged in or unplugged, if I have the UIC plugged into the AIC I can not see anything at all. Those were the only 2 machines I tested.

My bad.. the Phoenix plug is the one that is flat on one side and has bumps on the other. It is so-named because they are made by Phoenix Contact. They're used everywhere in automation systems.. In this particular application it is used for the DH485 trunkline. I guess the first thing I would establish is that I could plug directly into the front of each SLC and go online. Then I would try going online with each SLC through the AIC, still with the trunkline disconnected. If I don't succeed at each and every station, I wouldn't go any further. I would take a "tested good" AIC over to one of the stations that I was having trouble with, and swap it in and see what happens. I would only start to deal with the network after I had confidence in each station's ability to communicate. Then I would connect the trunkline, ONE STATION AT A TIME, and repeat. Of course the usual rules apply.. grounded at one end, terminated at both.. unique node number for each station, max-polled node number atleast as high as the highest node number and the same at all stations, etc.