Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rblock

Wrong Comms Driver After Usb Df1 Switch

2 posts in this topic

After getting a new (no serial port) laptop, I switched from a 1747-PIC to a 1747-UIC converter. I needed to modify the program in a SLC 500 and found that the program that I changed in the laptop would not download to the PLC. Apparently the comm driver is imbedded in the program as RSLogix still shows the PIC driver and prevents the download. I uploaded the program to the laptop and modified the program, to capture the new driver. I haven't had a chance to try the download again (production 1st). Just wondering if this has happened to anyone out there, and if I am doing the right thing here? Seems to be a nasty little trick AB didn't warn about in the installation book. My backup files on the laptop are not downloadable to the PLC as is. It looks as if I have to upload the programs from all PLCs using the UIC converter and save them to get usable backups.

Here's what's going on. Yes, the "Communications Path" is saved with the RSLogix 500 file. This setting tells RSLogix 500 what RSLinx driver to use, and which node to connect to. You can see the current driver and node settings in the upper left window, at the bottom of the Online and Edit window near the rotating ladder. But you can change it easily. Click on Comms -> System Comms to bring up an RSWho session. When you browse to a driver and select an SLC controller, you can choose to Download using that controller, and you can also check a box in the lower right corner of the window labeled "Apply to Project". It's that check box that makes the current path be saved inside the RSLogix 500 file. You can also get to this information in your RSLogix 500 project file by clicking on the "Controller Properties" item in the controller organizer tree, and selecting the rightmost tab labeled "Controller Communications". That's where you will see the current driver and node settings, as well as a drop-down including recently-used drivers and nodes. This screen is, I think, easier to use than the RSWho and the "Apply to Project" checkbox.