Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest jonnie75

Serial port comm. monitoring

8 posts in this topic

I am using RSLogix 500 to communicate with a Micrologix on Com 1 and I am wanting to log/capture the data that is being sent to/from the plc on this Com port. I have tried to use a couple of programs to monitor Com 1 while being hooked up to the PLC and both programs tell me that the port is already in use. I only have one PC and I was wondering if it is possible to use a com port and monitor it from the same PC. Any help on how to use and monitor the same port on 1 PC would be grealy appreciated.

I use a program called ComLite32 to monitor the goings on of a serial port without trying to wire a splitter between the two devices. It was discontinued as a product but can still be found for free on the web; ftp://ftp.rtcomm.com/ pub/comlite32/cliteb5.exe

Thanks Ken, that program works like a champ. The URL that I ended up finding that at was http://www.rtcomm.com, then clicking ComLite32 on the left hand side. Are you a programmer for Allen Bradley?

Awesome program!! :0 I just download comlite32 and was knocked out!  How long have I looked for a snooper program that would monitor both sides of a serial conversation without having to actually tap the cable!!!  This is going in my Top 10 Utilities directory.  Thanks Ken! :)  I will add it to the Miscellaneous download section on this site!

I downloaded Comlite32 , but not working in my laptop ( windows 2000 professional ) ! Do anybody using it with Windows 2000 ?

I found that it didn't run in Win2K Pro/SP2.  It wouldn't start and gave a message saying "a component of ComLite32 could not be found". I check of the RTComm website turned up a small footnote saying this was for Windows 95 only and would not run in Windows NT. That makes sense;  Windows 2000 is really just NT 5.0.   I expect that ComLite32 will run in Windows 95, 98, and ME. Because they aren't developing it anymore, I doubt it will run on Windows 2000 ever.   Ah, well, back to the dual-boot !

It will run on Win 98 SE (not sure if this helps anyone else).

I need the Comlite32 software,who can give me?My email is zyzqcn@yahoo.com.cn