Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beuwolf_1

Networking questions

4 posts in this topic

This is my first post here and hope it doesn't show my ignorance in areas of DL series PLC's but I figured I would ask those that know in an attempt to cut down on my search and hope to hit the right answer time. We are attempting to do some networking here with five existing DL250 CPU's and an additional 5 DL05 series PLC's to be added in soon. So far we have no network at all, but I figured we could assign one of the exsisting 250's as a master, and designate the rest as slaves. So far, I thought that sounded simple but we also want to take data from the master and send counter values and a few numerical values to a PC on our net some place with in our plant. So I looked up the networking information on the Automation Direct website, tried to force myself thru the manuals on the topics and for the life of me, I seem to get conflicting methods. Hence my confusion and ignorance. Is there a rather simple method to just hook up 9 of those lil buggers as slaves to one master, and take data from the master and ship it off to a PC? If so, could someone enlighten me. Thanks in advance, Beuwolf

An ideal would be if there is a free rack slot in each 250 and that the expansion slot in each 05 os free. Then it would be Ethernet all the way. The next (fort the master-slave section) would be RS-422. Assuming Port 2 on each DL05 is free then use a FA-ISOCON for each to provide conversion. You can come off port 2 on each of the DL250's for the other connections. Designate a 250 as a master and start interrogating. I would still use Ethernet for the PC connection. Edited by b_carlton

Thanks for the info. Its greatly appreciated.

Yeah I used the ethernet cards in a job 3 years ago. I gave each a seperate IP and was able to get data from them all seperately. I don't see why you couldn't network them with the IP addr.