Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billr57

Programing Cable?

4 posts in this topic

I'm in need of a programing cable for a SLC500 L30 Processor. I was looking at the USB 1747-CP3 Cable (my laptop does not have any com ports to use) but don't see any RJ45 connections. Is there a way to use this cable with these older SLC that only have a RJ45 Port? Thanks Bill

you need a 1747-UIC. This interface has both db-9 and RJ45 connectors and is designed specically for USB only laptops.

Could I take a 9 pin connector and pin it out to RJ45 using a USB 1747-CP3 Cable or is there more to it? Thanks Bill

There's more to it. Your computer's 9-pin D-shell port is an "RS-232" signalling type, and the RJ45 plug on an SLC controller includes both "RS-485" signalling and +24 VDC. For lots of years the converter was a clunky thing called a "1747-PIC" that plugged into your PC's serial port and did the conversion. With the advent of Windows NT-based operating systems the drivers got hard to manage, and the disappearance of native RS-232 serial ports on computers was the end of the 1747-PIC's functional lifetime. The 1747-UIC does protocol and signalling conversion from USB to the DH-485 protocol used by the SLC controller. They are the same price as the 1747-PIC was, and work without any fuss.