Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pete3589

Compactlogix to Panelview Plus 600 Serial Comms

4 posts in this topic

All of the systems I have worked with have used ethernet communication to talk between the PV+ and the PLC. As an experiment (and maybe a permanent change) I was going to try set up serial comms through the DF1 port of the processor. On my test system I set the PLC ip using the DF1 port and a null modem cable (like usual). Then I was hoping to see the PLC in Linx via ethernet, which I now can. At this point I was hoping to connect the DF1 of the processor to the DF1 (or RS232) of the Panelview, and then see it via Linx when I expanded the DF1 port on the processor via the ethernet connection I had previously set up. At this point the DF1 port does not detect the Panelview and I am stuck. The system still wants to connect via the ethernet. I am not sure how to get them communicating. Are there settings in Linx I am missing? Am I using the right cable (null modem)? Can I do this with my existing setup or do I need more hardware?

What type of CPU are you using.. I assume you have already set up the serial communications on both sides to the same Baud Rate??

Sorry for the lack of information. Yes both of the baudrates have been set to 19,200 and I am using a CompactLogix L35E processor. I almost want to say its cabling, since i see the channel 0 light flashing green on the processor, but I cant be sure since i dont have any other cables. These are the same cables I use when changing IP's on new panels that arrive. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

There are a few strange things that I have noticed while trying to configure this. 1. On the panelview (PV+ 600) when I enter RS Enterprise Configuration I always need to restore the defaults since there is no tab for DFI or serial comms. After I do this, i set up the rates exactly as they should be but the list does not populate with the PLC information (processor etc etc). 2. If i try to restart, when I come back online the communications always revert back to the previous ethernet comms that were established before I restored the defaults on the HMI version of Enterprise. 3. On some of the knowledgebase articles such as this one Knowledgebase they show the device as PLC_CH0. I do not have this option when I configure my serial ports. I would assume that I would use the Logix choice, but I havent seen anyone ever refer to that.