Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ianbuckley

CompactLogix to PV+ via ethernet

5 posts in this topic

I set up a demo program for my CompactLogix L35E (RSLogix 5000) and a simple display for the PanelViewPlus1000. Following the L35E Quick Start Guide, I downloaded the firmware. I then set up the IP adresses, connected them both to a hub, both have link lights okay, but I'm not seeing the information get passed. I don't know if there is something wrong in the tags or if I am missing some part of the communication setup. Could somebody please show me what I am missing? Thank you. demo.zip Edited by ianbuckley

Use the Application Manager utility to make up an *.APA archive file of your RSView ME application and that will include the whole project. The *.MED file can't be opened standalone as it doesn't include any of the graphics or tags or other components. It's more of a directory than a project file. Does the test application work on your development PC but not on the PanelView Plus ? Usually that's because the Local and Target tabs of the RSLinx Enterprise configuration are different. Use the "Copy" button in the RSLinx Enterprise configuration window to make them the same.

Sorry, I didn't realize the .med file didn't have everything. Here is the .apa file. Thanks for any help. Ian demo.apa

Just from briefly looking at the file it appears that your local tab is not set up correctly in your Communications Setup. When you are Online with your processor you should be able to "Browse" to your CPU in the Communications setup on the local tab.., you may have to add an Ethernet Driver first. Then Apply your Shortcut to the CPU on the local tab then hit the Copy button to copy the path to your target tab. From what I can tell I think your local tab config should look exactly like what you have the target config setup like. Edited by TechJunki

I hadn't been using the local (Test Application) feature, so I wasn't paying attention to the local tab. It seems if you make a change in the target tab, it screws everything up in the local tab - all the shortcuts go to default. After all of the suggestions relating to the local stuff, I started using it. RSLinx Enterprise was doing really weird things - trying to load shortcuts from previous projects with totally different configurations - really bizarre stuff. I restarted RSView, made a new application, configured just the local tab first and tested it that way. It still didn't work, but I was able to browse tags from the PLC now. It turns out that I had remembered wrong from the RSView User manual on the formatting. There should be two colons "::" or none. You need the "::" if you are accessing an address directly instead of a tag (e.g. ::[PLC]N7:0). I thought I remembered you needed one colon if the address didn't have one, but apparently you need none. Anyway, thanks for all the help. Another note: it seems that when you create a backup and restore from that backup, all of the device shortcuts are lost. I had to redo the RSLinx Enterprise shortcuts after making a backup, copying the backup to another PC, then restoring the backup on the new PC. Gotta love it.