Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildswing

Upgrading PLC5/40L to 60L

7 posts in this topic

Hi fellas, I have a 5/40L Series C who's memory is about full. I'd like to replace it with a 60L. Do I need to stay with the same series number? What's significant about the series number? The same PLC is also using a math copro if that makes a difference. No, going to ControlLogix is not an option. We have neither the time nor the people to spare. The 60Ls I'm looking at are used and can be had for a tiny fraction of AB's price. If they work, great, I've saved 30 grand. If not, oh well, it wasn't that much.

I don't do much work with PLC-5s, but I am 99% sure that you'd just change the processor type in RSLogix, let it re-compile, and just upload the new program to the 5/60 and you're good to go! PS what do you mean by series number? Are you referring to the "40"? That number is just an identifier of the particular model of processor. Generally, the "bigger the number the better". The programs are compatible between the various models of PLC-5.. You should have no problem stepping up from a 40 to a 60.

Sorry, I should have said series letter as in series C, D, E, etc. Thanks for the feedback.

When you change the processor type in RSLogix5 you can see the differences between processor models The letter at the end e.g L relates to the number of connectors for either RIO or DH+ Changing to a PLC5/60L gives the same as a 5/40L but with more memory. So as long as you are going from a 5/40L to a 5/60L you'll be OK. I've just done a upgrade from a 5/60 to a 5/80

The series letter of the processor generally refers to the hardware revision. Some hardware changes are very subtle, some are quite obvious. Most have no affect on the program you download to it. Then there is also the series and rev of the firmware. Again, sometimes you scratch your head and wonder what's different, other times there are added capabilities and/or bug fixes with later revs of firmware. If the difference is not transparent, RSLogix will have separate entries for multiple versions.. You will have to know the series and rev beforehand and choose that particular selection in the processor configuration list. (does that answer your question? :)

Well, that's not exactly so.. I believe the "L" designation refers to the special PLC-5 variant that allows extended-local I/O. The "40", "60", etc. Is what tells you how many I/O plugs you get, as well as how much memory. I do think you're right that the 40L and 60L have the same number of plugs though.. as the Local I/O plug occupies a slot that could be used for RIO/DH+..

Yes, the L means it has a Local IO port to connect to a 1771-alx adapter/chassis. the 40 means the processor has 48 k memory, while the 60 means it has 64 k memory. You can simply swap the processors and when u go to download, itll recompile for the upgraded processor