Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colin Carpenter

IEC Developer Memory Problem

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone else get this problem with IEC Developer V5.02 When builfing, re-building or checking, I quite often get the Error Message "OUT OF MEMORY". The programme will let me save and recover the project, but it will also then say "Cannot Allocate Share Memory". This happens on Windows 98 and also XP Pro. My laptop is a 1.6 GHz Centrino with 512 MB ram running XP Pro .... wouldn't think there is a shortage there. When I'm really making it work hard ..... deleting global variables then building again to find the variables I've missed, it happens for a pastime. Love to know what the workaround is. Mitsubishi just say "What else is running?" .... but it makes no difference, lots of of other apps or no apps, it still happens the same. Somthing's up, but I don't know what.

I have seen the same problem using GX Developer 7.01B. It usually happens after using the 'Ladder Logic Test' function. The only way I have found to get out of it is to reboot the PC. I am running on Win98. Mike B

I can answer this problem now after going into "I'm not going away until I get the answer" mode with Mitsubishi UK. Turns out that every time you do a Build or a Rebuild All with IEC Developer, any errors get caught up in an invisible error log which never goes away, and only grows with time, making the saved project much bigger than it needs to be. It eats up memory and causes the problem. The "work around" is to export the project as an ASCII file, then start a new project and import everything from the ASCII file. This has the effect of "purging" the project of all the unwanted rubbish. When I did this on one of my projects, the main file shrank in size from 12 MB to 4 MB ..... for exactly the same project!!. Seems like the latest version handles it better, but maybe still not well enough. Looks like all my projects are due a backup, ASCII export and ASCII Import now to get rid of all the accumulated rubbish that they have picked up in development. Why don't they put this stuff in the manuals, can somebody tell me?

IEC Developer V5 did have several "features" such as memory leaks (when you used it all day) and the frequent crashing when compiling. Versions 6.0, 6.01 or 6.10 do not appear to have any of the problems featured with v5, so the simplest (though most expensive) soulution would be to upgrade to the current version

Yes, I think I probably will upgrade now. They tell me that V6.21 is the latest version .... apparently some of the recent releases re-incorporated bugs that had been fixed in earlier versions!! Even the pros have problems with version control.