Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Ghettofreeryder

PLC-5 Rack Testing

6 posts in this topic

I need to test a few plc-5 racks for functionality. I only have discrete output modules at my disposal. Because the analog and discrete cards use different traces on the rack, how would i set up a BTW to test the"analog" portion of the rack, using discrete i/o modules?

I always thought the block transfer was performed using multiplexing of the low byte in the digital data transfer image. I admit I don't have intimate knowledge of the hardware design of the 1771 system, but I have never heard of a chassis that worked with discrete I/O but not with analog because of damage to the PC board. You cannot emulate block transfer to a discrete module. You will need an analog module if you want to prove conclusively the function of a chassis and RIO adapter.

Also; get in touch with your local A-B distributor or sales office. I have a couple of analog modules taking up shelf space and wouldn't mind loaning them out for testing, and I'm sure that's true of most of my co-workers around the U.S.

I do have analog modules at my disposal, problems is there already inventoried and boxed. I just didnt want to have to pull them all out. Im just wondering if anyone knows how to btw to a discrete module, or if its even possible

You can not BTW a discrete module, there is no reason nor anyway this can be done.... JJ

Ya, i realized it wouldnt accomplish what i needed anyways. Well, time to start unboxing