1 post in this topic

Thought I'd share an experience I had earlier today working on a (limited memory) L61 Rockwell processor. I knew there was very little room left in the memory but needed to add some functionality and decided to give it a try anyway. I couldn't take the machine down to make a download so made a number of online edits, successfully accepting and finalizing after each edit. Got down to the last four edits which required zeroing a tag of type REAL. The instructions were on four separate rungs. Hoping to save time (and all previous edits were successful), I added the four MOV instructions (MOV 0 into TAG) and pressed the "finalize" button. I was caught quite off-guard when the process failed: insufficient memory. AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!! So close! I tried to remove some logic to free enough memory to add the required instructions. Nope. Rockwell was not going to negotiate. That left me in a position where I thought I was going to have to take the machine down and do, hopefully, a download that would push the processor memory to the limit but be accepted without any hiccups. But before I did that I had a fortuitous thought. I F1'd the MOV instruction and hoped to find a complete explanation of the instruction, including timing diagrams, execution time, memory requirements, etc. Oh wait - that's Siemens. GROAN. Curious and desperate, I replaced each MOV instruction in my edited code (I'd estimate somewhere around 20 instances or slightly more) with the CLR instruction - including the four additional instances I needed. And finalized the edits with bated breath. To my utter surprise (again!) the edits were finalized without overrunning the memory. A MOV instruction requires memory for both the source and destination. Since I was only clearing a memory I didn't need to reserve memory for the source. Using a CLR instruction implies "0" (zero) for the source but requires no memory for the source value. Hence the efficiency. Obviously, this story would have a different ending if I had been trying to move some value other than zero into a destination tag.

I offer my experience as a lesson if you ever need to streamline some code to fit existing memory space.

I also would like to know if there are any downsides to what I've done. Have i overlooked any potential pitfalls? Thanks in advance for the advice.