Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest_marti

Removing program edits on an SLC500

9 posts in this topic

"I'm sure this is an easy thing to do, but would appreciate some help". I have written a version of code using SLC500 and need to create a version of the same code with all the rung edits removed. The same I/O configuration and channel configuration etc are to stay. I don't mind deleting the rung edits as I have another copy but the program is pretty large. Any help would be greatly appreciated. "Thanks in advance" Marti

By 'rung edits' do you mean the rung comments?

Yes mainly the titles in the project tree for each program file, rung titles and there comments and the details on the instruction bits (i.e.) descriptions, symbols. Regards Marti

I suppose it would be possible if I downloaded the detailed copy I have into a processor in a temp PLC, removed all records of the detailed copy from the PC and then performed an upload from the processor which should provide me with a working version of the code with no titles or descriptions displayed. This would be possible if I set up a temp PLC rig but really I was hoping for a quicker solution and looking for some sort of procedure within the RSLogix program. Regards Marti

Last time I checked, this information is not stored in the processor. If you don't give them your RSS file, they will not be able to see any of this information.

Am I right in thinking you want to start a program from scrath on the same machine? If so, I would do an ASCII export on the Database (just the EAS file). Select delete DB and then Click yes, add default descriptions. Delete all the program files and data tables. Open the EAS file with Notepad and delete all the lines which are not I/O, resave it and ASCI import it. It would be nice to have a quicker way but it only takes 5 minutes at most and it's not something you do every day.

In RSLogix just go to the right hand pane at the bottom - the 'Database' section and expand it. Open each section, select all (select (left click) top one, scroll to the bottom and SHIFT select the bottom one) then right click and delete. Possibly a total of 30 seconds. MAKE sure you have a copy with the comments brfore you try this jsut in case you somehow make a mistake.

Or rather than delete your comments, just upload the program from the PLC as a new file... Save this file with a different name and you'll have a comment-less program. (The comments are only local to the file on your drive... If you upload a new file from the processor, they wont be there...)

Thanks guys for your help, I was wondering about putting in the version into a PLC and then uploading it but the problem is the PLC is 9000 miles away and didn't have a spare rig with me. The code was being sent over but I didn't want to hand over the edits to the people there. But as b_carlton suggested I've deleted the contents within the database and all that remained was to rename the each program file as blank. Thanks to you all once again, you've all been a big help with some good ideas and one doubt here from me soon. Kind regards Marti