Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DCLittlejohn

Remote Access to SLC-5/05

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone... I've got a system getting ready to ship. It has an SLC-5/05 processor and there is a Dell PC running RSView ME. What I would like to know is, what's the best method for getting remote access to the SLC without having to install RSLogix on the local PC and go in with remote desktop or PC Anywhere? I've got the SLC on my local network here, so perhaps I could work with the customer's IT dept to have the system put on their in-plant network and then provide me some sort of remote VPN or something? I'm not sure, and the customer, well, I don't think they would know what I am talking about... Any suggestions?

If i understand you correctly, you want to have dial-in access to the SLC controller (i.e to get online with the PLC remotely). If it is the case, you can use a modem to do the job. Rockwell has a pre-configured modem (9300-RADKIT) which can be used easily. I used one before and it was very good. Check it at http://support.rockwellautomation.com/mode...dmodem_main.asp Good luck

Using a modem is fine, but they are SLOW. Get the IT department to get you a VPN connection. Once you use it you will sell all you dialup modems at the flea market on Sunday. If it is not available, get a modem for the PC and RAS into it. You then have access to the PLC and the SLC. You can get a lot faster connection into the PC. Progamming at 9600 or even 19,200 is like watching paint dry.

lavinh, I think I'll have to check out that modem set. Looks like that might do the trick. HalBishop, unfortunately, the customer has no local IT support to get a VPN connection, and don't want to have a local version of RSLogix installed on the HMI PC there. The modem may be slow, but it's better than going to the airport Thanks guys

I would go the route of a modem in the PC. You can therotically connect at 56K. (if you have good phone lines at each end) I think the max with a SLC is 19,200 baud. (correct me if I am wrong guys) Then you can have access to the PC as well. We use this method to transfer modified HMI applications to the PC and save a trip. You can use remote desktop sharing to make small changes to the HMI application and avoid the large file transfer on a dialup connection. I just did this about a month ago at a flour mill in Kent, Ohio. Good luck on your project. Edited by HalBishop

The 56k speed is only available with a modem when connecting to an ISP for instance as the 56k bit is achieved digitally at the exchange. This works OK for browsing the Internet as you get a faster browsing experience (56k) but if you send data to the net it is only at 33k. When going analogue modem to analogue modem 33k is the maximum speed available no matter what it says on the box . Depending on version of RSlinx on the SCADA PC you may be able to dial-in to the PC then connect using your RSlogix and RSlinx through RSlinx on the SCADA PC as a Gateway. This is pretty fast.

You won't don't even need RsLinx on the local box if you are conected to the PC with RAS. And if you will notice I did say "theoretically" in the speed statement. The supposed 33K conection is still faster than 19,200 through a modem plugged into Chnnel 0 of the SLC. Edited by HalBishop