Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darrenj

another noobie queastion!

5 posts in this topic

Sorry people but this is major learning curve for me!!! I have RS view ME and i am trying to create an couple of screens for a pv+1000 It is connected to a controllogix (L55 series) In RSView studio application explorerer (Communication tab) i can see my system. Now i want to refence the tags that i have in the controller. I know i can pull the tags from it but i can figure out how.. The on line help tells me a little but not enough to get the job done.. Here is what i am doing.. 1. double click on my "button" 2. click on connections... 3. click on "tag" thats about as far as i can get..i can't see my controller or any tags that i created in it..I know it is something small and obvious i just cant seem to find it...HELP!!!! Thanks. Darren M Edited by darrenj

You have to set up a Shortcut in RSLinx Enterprise to browse ControlLogix tags, either offline or online. Go back to the Application tab, select RSLinx Enterprise, then double-click on Communication Setup. Choose "create new" configuration. In this RSLinx Enterprise configuration window you are going to define a Shortcut. Add a shortcut to the left pane. Use a short but distinctive name for your controller. To browse online tags: Next navigate through the RSLinx Enterprise drivers until you can see your controller. Highlight the Shortcut, then the Controller, and click Apply to create the shortcut definition. To browse offline tags: You will have to manually create communication path elements instead of "browsing" through them. Create and define the shortcut, then associate your offline *.ACD file with the shortcut. That will let you browse tags that you created in RSLogix 5000 offline. To configure the PanelView with this communication path: The above steps only set up the "Local" communication path for your shortcut. You also need to set up the "Target" path so that the PanelView knows how to communicate to the controller. The easiest way to do that is to click "Copy" and the communication setup here in the Local tab will be copied to the Target tab. Those are the basics. RSLinx Enterprise Shortcuts work a lot like OPC Topics. If you are familiar with those, you are 80% there.

Thanks..Got it just before you replied..Another question for you..I can connect to my processor thru rsview studio via ethernet..it sees the backplane and all the cards however when i try to use rslinx lite it comes up as ? 192.168.0.100 (This is the correct address), unrecognised device, 1756-ENBT/A rslinx on line help tells me to use the eds hardware installation tool.. Now i know i am dumb but where is that?! i mean where do i find the *.eds files? Edited by darrenj

Use the EtherNet/IP driver in RSLinx instead of the A-B Ethernet one. That should properly recognize the IP address of your 1756-ENBT, if it has an IP address and if your computer has an IP address and they are properly connected to the same network. It sounds like you could really benefit from the "Getting Results" guide or a little seminar on how RSView ME works.... have you talked to your A-B distributor about a little orientation ? I just mention it because I'm packing tonight to go on the road to teach RSView ME seminars, among other things.

Was looking at the course schedule through out canada and the next course is not untill the end of february. It leaves me a little tight on this project deadline.! I am plugging away at it tho. I reinstalled the latest version of RS linx and clicked on all the eds sheets to be installed. Now i am going to try and fight with this XP SP2 fix..Nothing is easy is it!! Oh well thats what makes it fun! You are right about getting training..How are the new CD course trainers? well i just booted the lap top up after the new version of linx was installed and there it is. I also used the Ethernet/IP as you suggested and thats easier than typing the ip addys in.. Thanks Let me know if you are coming to canada..I will buy you supper! Thanks Darren