Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coolhand

5/04 to Logix

3 posts in this topic

I will be taking over a 5/04 and putting a new 5000 in it's place in a month or so. I've been told there is a way to convert the old program to the new processor. I havn't got the books out yet -just one of those can't leave your projects at work type of thoughts on this fine Saturday evening. Not a very complex program - 200 rungs or so and pretty much just I/O. When I get the new controler I'll be able to "bench it" for a week or so and then have about a 3 hr window to get it in and the line back to normal. Is there anything I should be aware of that may cause a problem or head ache? We have one other Logix in the plant that is basicaly our "hub" for all our DH+ and then data collection is handeled there and passed out on the ether net. This will be the first time the Control Logix will "come out to the factory" and my first project with one. I took the Rockwell class a year ago and have not realy used the knowledge since so there will be a learning curve. Some of the concerns I'm getting from the other guys is navigation through the program and finding every thing like before in the Data Tables for trouble shooting,etc. What are the sugestions for laying the program out to give the same look and "feel" as a slc? It will be an even larger learning curve for them as we have better than a hundered slc's in the plant and that is what they are used to. Thanks for the help. Luke

Greetings Luke, sorry I'm so short on time ... but maybe this will help get you started ... Converting PLC-5 or SLC-500 Logic to Logix-Based Logic - Reference Manual this little book is probably as good a place as any to start ... good luck, Ron

Thanks, Ron! Just where I needed to start! My rep should have been able to give me that a couple weeks ago when I started in for pricing and the project scope. The info is always out there somewhere -just got to know where to look. A few weeks ago I found this forum and it seems like there could be a lot of gold here! Thanks! The AFE goes to the bid boys this Friday, so I'll know in a couple if it's a go or not. It should be a nice jump for our company if it goes in well. The last company I worked at said anybody (the competition) could buy the machines and equipment -knowing how to use it effeciantly is what put them ahead. I think that is a true statement. If anyone out there has some tips for me towards my other question I sure would apreciate it. Luke