Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rebuke

RS PC based I/O

3 posts in this topic

Ok, pretty basic question but I've been out of the loop for awhile. I'm sourcing a DAQ tester and we're considering Labview PC based rack mounted discreete and analog I/O. This stuff is not cheap and I'm not up to speed on the software so I was wondering if Rockwell has a similllar solution, one where I'll be more familliar with the software. Does RS View have this I/O capability? We also need to log several 100k's of readings, probably to a standalone device like a tape drive. -24vdc discreete I/O -0 to 10v analog, 12 bit or higher -Highspeed counter, don't have requirements yet. -Compact Flash port or external HD for DAQ. -Nice interactive PC HMI, maybe touchscreen. I'd appreciate any input you guys may have.

RSView Studio has the ability to log data points on the panelview plus. You can archive the data to standard compact flash memory cards. I believe the archive limit is about 30 million data points if I remember correctly. Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

The PanelView Plus ability to "log data" is really intended just to be a data source for the trend object, and is otherwise pretty weak. If anything, RSView32 has a more robust data logging engine. I'd stick with LabView on this, really. That software is made for data acquisition, not for control, and that's what it excels at. Bench-top hardware is always going to be less expensive than industrial hardware.