Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rod

ABB CANbus IO

4 posts in this topic

Looking for ABB Robot gurus. I know the ABB Robot Controller CANbus ports be configured for Devicnet (as Devicenet is an exteneded version of CANbus) but can the CANBus ports be configured for CANOpen?? I cant find any info saying if it can or not. The reason i ask is so i can set up a comms link between a modicon PLC and ABB Robot using CANOpen, not Devicnet. Please Help.

Rod, I talked to a integrator of mine and they do it all the time w/ devicenet. I am about to do the same thing. Here is a little excerpt from the robotware manual. Khek abb_dnet.pdf

Just went through this trying to hook up a CANOpen Phoenix I/O Expansion module to a ABB Robot. I was told by ABB that they do not support CANOpen on robots shipped to the US. Switched to a DeviceNet module and it worked fine.

that would be the easy way out, but I know that you can do it with can for free. If you switch to dnet there is a fee and when we have to convert 38 S4C controllers that fee adds up quickly. I know the phoenix guys do it all the time. hopefully a phoenix guy is listening and would be kind to help out.