Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
REC

Convert Devicenet to Flex IO

6 posts in this topic

Newbee here,  The plant I work at has an old piece of equipment currently using Cutler Hammer DN50 devicenet modules which are getting hard to find parts for.  Each DN50 remote IO rack has 4 modules with the first module and the power supply in one.  Management wants to convert it to AB Flex IO.  My questions are, What will be required to get this done?  Will it involve any reprogramming?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Edited by REC

What do the C-H DN50 remote I/O modules communicate with?  Before you look at replacing just the field I/O, one needs to know the whole system.

We cruuently have a AB 5/04 with Devicenet scanner.  We would like to replace the devicenet with a 1747 SN scanner and Flex IO using 1794 A5B2 RIO

Well, of course it will require re-programming.

If it were me, I would retain the DeviceNet and replace the Cutler-Hammer D50 blocks with something modern and readily available like the 1734-PDN and POINT modules, or 1791D DeviceNet I/O modules.

The 1747-SN and the 1794-ASB2 are both out of production and can no longer be purchased, so you're only trading an unpopular obsolete module for a popular obsolete module.

Looks like we may be keeping devicenet, just going with something modern.

Thanks for your help

And by "of course", I mean that the discrete I/O from a RIO adapter will be in similar, but not necessarily identical, locations in the I/O words for the scanner module slot.

The 1747-SN and the 1747-SDN scanners both exchange 32 words of I/O data with the controller as their ordinary I/O scan.

Both can also transfer more data than that;  the SDN via copies of the data map and the SN via Block Transfer functions.

The addressing and supporting logic for those two methods will be different.   Not impossibly different, but different.