Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rebuke

SLC 505 wireless ethernet connection

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever set up a wireless hub to a 505 before? Our current setup is an ethernet drop right to the 505, but I have a station that is far away from an drop so I am tring to asses what would be involved in making that a wireless connection. We just had wireless set up plant wide. We have PCs on the shop floor with wireless adaptors that link to the hub, I would like to do the same for the 505. Initially it will be just for monitoring, but later on OPC or DDE via RS Linx Pro. Any input would be appreciated. Edited by Rebuke

It can be done, I have a Linksys wireless hub here a home and I can connect my laptop to the 505 with no problem. It has builtin wireless. I have a customer who is uses is laptop to connect to various A-B processors throughout the plant. I know he uses a router and has the wireless hub in there. I don't know the exact details but just letting you know it can be done. A-B may have some info on configuring it on their website.

Currently I have 5 SLC 5/05 talking on ethernet and about 40 SLC 5/04 connected DH+ (on several DH+ highways) to a gateway with an ethernet card. All of these units are accessable on the ethernet therefore all can be connected via a wireless laptop. I have 3 wireless laptops that the technicians use here for troubleshooting plcs, email, office functions and internet all from anywhere on the floor. All you need is the access point installed and your RSlinx (I use Pro) configured. It also makes good use for backing up programs and keeping the comment files accessable (I keep them on a network drive). From what you describe, I think you have everything you need.

You need to be more specific about your hardware and architecture. There's no such thing literally as a "wireless hub". I have a Netgear WGR614 on my desk. It is a 802.11b/g Wireless Access Point and Router. It has four Ethernet switch ports, one Ethernet WAN port, and an antenna. The devices I connect to the switch and the devices that I connect via 802.11b wireless are part of the same IP network. 192.168.1.1 My computer, via wireless. 192.168.1.2 1756-ENBT 192.168.1.3 PanelView Plus 192.168.1.9 1788-EN2DN bridge I can access all those devices from my PC. However, a computer on the network attached to the WAN port on this Negear WGR614 cannot access those devices. They are hidden by the router's built-in NAT function (Network Address Translation) and firewall. So, specific configurations would have to be done to the router to make those devices on my subnet visible to the outside world. This could be done with Port Forwarding, or with something called a DMZ table. It's an interesting topic. What more can you tell us about your system ?

I'll get back to you with the details....