Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chantecler

Please, help me retrive some FTV Studio Apps

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

One computer where I was developing some Factory Talk View Studio Apps broke down, the hard disk is intact, I can see all the folders containing the apps I was working on.

So far I’ve been able to retrieve the only app I have the .mer and the .apa files of and open it in another computer running FTV Studio.

Is there a way to retrieve all the rest?

Could somebody help me?

Thank you.

With FTView ME (Machine Edition - for PanelView monitors), the overall project is a APA file.  The file that gets downloaded to the PView is a MER file.

If you have the most up-to-date APA file, you can RESTORE this project (to create the new MER file on your 2nd computer) and download, if needed.

If you do not have the most up-to-date APA file, as people often do when not following a solid backup procedure, but you have an up-to-date MER file, it is possible to build a project APA file from the MER file.  I have heard this is possible, but have not tried.  

As you have learned, FTView likes to put all APA application projects in a specific hard drive location.  Yes, copy those APA files to your new PC (not to the FTView project location but somewhere you have access to).  You will have to RESTORE these projects to get FTView to recognize them.  When these project APA files are restored, FTView will put them in the specific location for you.

Be forewarned that if your original project had any security setup, such as for allowing levels of users (Level 1 - Operator, Level 2 - Engineer, etc.), restoring the project will render these security settings in-tact but their descriptions will have odd descriptors.  Unless you followed a standard, you may not know the proper login usernames/passwords.

This work instruction may be of use.

Work_Instruction_-_Allen-Bradley_FactoryTalkViewStudio_Project_Restore[1].doc

Edited by kaiser_will