Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
starbuc84

connrcting to a 5/04

2 posts in this topic

trying to connect to a older 5/04 and have no idea what program it has in it if anything. The fault lite blinks I am using cp3 cable and ran through all the com ports and 1 seems to communicaste with it cause I get a differnt error back , "check cable and switches." can i connect with this cable? If so why does AB sell a $1400 card to connect also? thanksfor the help

The 1747-CP3 cable connects to the Channel 0 serial port on the controller only. The round plug and the DH+ connection are for Data Highway Plus networking, and that's what the 1784-PCMK card is for. Usually I just plug in the CP3 and use the "Autoconfig" button in RSLinx DF1 Full Duplex configuration. That works unless someone has changed the Channel 0 configuratio away from DF1 Full Duplex. Your onboard serial port on your PC is COM1... if you are using some other kind of serial port like a USB converter you might have to figure out the settings some other way. If you don't know what's in the CPU, you might not mind clearing it out. The user manual has a procedure for disconnecting the battery and draining the capacitor on the main board to clear the memory.