Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sohaib

Connecting and Programing Beckhoff EL5101 to measure speed with Heidenhain Incremental Encoder 460

1 post in this topic

Dear Members: I am new in Beckhoff Twincat system. I am working on a project. I am using CX9020 as my embedded PC. I have connected EL5101 as incremental encoder interface with CX9020. I was able to find EL5101 in my system manager. The operation mode is Free Run/SM-Synchron and EL5101 is in OP mode. The power and the run LED is green. I have also configured the NC-configurations. I have Append Axis and then selected Encoder Axis in the types. In my Axis_Enc I have linked NC-Encoder with EL5101. Now the EL5101 ENC Status compact inputs and ENC Control compact outputs are now linked to variables in the Axis_Enc in the NC-Cofigurations. Now I don’t know what to do next. I have not connected Heidenhain incremental encoder ERN 460 with my EL5101. I have 3 different input terminals A A’,BB’,CC’ and also Latch 24V and Gate 24V in my EL5101. The incremental encoder also have 3 types of output wires AA’,BB’,CC’. Also the incremental signal of my ERN 460 is 5V TTL. I want to know do I need to connect all the output wires of encoder AA’ BB’ CC’ to their corresponding terminal in the EL5101? What about Latch 24V and Gate 24V? What I have to do with these terminals? Is there any sample program or any step by step guide that how can I measure rpm through this setup? What kind of variables and data type I have to define in my PLC Control and to which physical input and outputs I have to link them? Is there any high speed counter in Twincat PLC Control? Please reply. Thanks.