Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjrx

FactoryTalk to PV+ 600

10 posts in this topic

I am trying to connect FactoryTalk to PV+ 600. In my communications explorer it sees the PV with the IP address and PanelView Plus_6_600 with a yellow ? mark next to the IP. It disappers when I unplug/plug in the cable so I think its seeing it. When I try to download to the terminal It says "The destination selected is not a valid Factory Talk View ME Station destination". When I go to the RS Linx Enterprise > Communication Setup in the Design (Local) window when I highlight the PV (or anything for that matter) it says "Select a different path - Ethernet cannot be used". Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Try deleting the object in RSLinx enterprise and adding it manually. Note that you'll have to turn off autobrowse for this to work.

The symptoms you describe suggest that the PV+600 has firmware that is newer than what's supported by your installation of FactoryTalk View Studio and RSLinx Enterprise (the communications service). There might be patches or you might need a full upgrade of FTView Studio to get the application transfer to work. My suggestion is to use a CF or SD or USB memory device to move the application onto the terminal. Those are independent of any sort of revision or identity issues.

I did try moving the .mer file that I created to a USB thumb drive, but the PV doesnt see it. I have a choice between two sources (Internal Storage, External Storage 2). I assume the .mer file should display in the window, but nothing there.

OK I think I can import the .mer file successfully. I am trying to convert a PanelBuilder32 project over to FactoryTalk, the Rockwell appnote is straightforward enough but I am running into issues with tags, when I run the app it says "Failed to resolve item ID, doesnt exist on any server". It didn't talk about having to do anything special when importing the PB project, but do I still need to be setting up the "Shortcut" in the comm config?

You're almost there. The SD or CF card is External Storage 1, and a USB device is External Storage 2. The file transfer menu doesn't look in the root directory, but rather in a specific "\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime" directory. Note the space in "Rockwell Software" but no space in "RSViewME". If you copy a file from the terminal onto a USB stick, it automatically creates the proper directories.
1 person likes this

Definitely yes ! PanelBuilder32 had controller names configured in the Communications Setup section that were then selected for each tag in the tag database. Go into your PanelBuilder32 project and you'll see them. You should create Shortcuts in RSLinx Enterprise that have exactly those names. The automatic conversion process saves a lot of work, but it's not 100%... more like 70% for most applications.

As you suggested, a big part of the problem was the HMI running a newer ME version than my FactoryTalk supported. Luckily my FT was new enough I was able to upgrade to version 8. A bit if tweaking and I got the migration working. Ken Roach you have saved me many times, much thanks!

It's nice having a resource for the right answers. I also have an issue with an older version of FT me. Using the \Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime" method Ken mentioned I was able to upload the mer file. I think the AB literature has a different file structure that doesn't work. The PV communicates with the SLC500 just fine. Question: Is there a way to move the mer file to the internal storage, or do we need to send the SD card with it? Thanks in advance!

You can use the File Copy menu on the terminal itself to copy the Runtime file from Removable Storage into the onboard memory.