Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tjp99

Communicating with MicroLogix 1000 Series E

2 posts in this topic

I have a question concerning getting comm's working with the Micro 1000. We have two conveyors for SMD producton, one has a SLC500 and the other the MicroLogix 1000. I now need to make some timing changes. I also have a 1747 UIC RxLinx Lite and rsx500 software. I can successfully communicate with he SLC500. But, how do I hook up the the MicroLogix? I have made a 9 pin to 8 pin mini DIN cable from their docs. But, how do I connect it up and will my software work with the MicroLogix? tj

The 1761-CBL-PM02 cable is relatively inexpensive, especially from plccables.com. I recommend a nice factory-made one if you're going to work with A-B controllers; every MicroLogix from 1995 to present uses it. It's likely that the MicroLogix 1000 is set up for DF1 Full Duplex protocol, rather than DH485 protocol. Both the RS-232 and RS-485 connectors on the 1747-UIC run DH485 protocol. You can use a conventional USB/RS232 converter with DF1 Full Duplex. I strongly recommend the Keyspan USA-19HS. RSLogix 500 goes back to the mid-1990s so it's possible that yours is older than the MicroLogix firmware. You can check with RA's knowlegebase. But because the MicroLogix 1000 firmware hasn't budged in about 8 or 10 years, your software likely supports it.