Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ASForrest

Studio 5000 V23

9 posts in this topic

Hi all, Most of us are probably at least vaguely aware of the mess Rockwell have made with the V21.00/V21.03/V22/V23 releases of Studio 5000. I've currently got a PLC running 21.00. I'm going to upgrade it off there, but I'm not sure whether to just take it to 21.03 or go straight to 23. Version 23 would be a better solution IMO because then we don't have to worry about which version of 21 we're using, etc. But with 23 still being new to the market, I'm just wary. I've installed V23 on my laptop, but I've not yet flashed a CPU up to v23. Has anyone used V23 in the field yet? Any known issues or surprises? My CPU is a 1756-L71. Thanks!

So I guess nobody's deployed V23 yet? Guess that answers my question about which version I'm putting in...

My understanding is that V23 is just V21 with Factory Talk Alarms and Events (plus other bugs) fixed. Not much else has changed. Edited by MrAutomation

That's my understanding too...but I'm just wary of being the first one to try it, especially being as it's not a local site so if there are issues it's a long way to go to get them up and running again. I'd like to know that someone has at least flashed up a processor and had it running with no particular surprises that I should know about before I get there :)

Sorry can't help you. Most of the PLCs I work on are L6x, so we are standardizing on V20, even on the L7x series PLCs. I'd like to upgrade everything to V24 when it's available, proven and feasible on our part. Until then, V20 for us.

I'm one of the ones that isn't aware... could you explain it briefly please?

http://www.theautomationblog.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-studio-5000-version-22-23-and-24/

I have installed V23, an upgrade from V21, there was no 22 that I could find. I have only connected to a 5470 L1 but with no issues

I am very wary of testing Ver. 23 at this point. We are sticking with Ver. 21 for now. I suspect Ver. 23 is really needed for the new L8 CPU due out soon. Are your virtualizing your development PCs, such as with VMWare Workstation? This approach, installing Ver. 23 on its own virtual machine, makes you less resilient to cleaning up the mess of backing versions out because they just do not work properly.