Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjrx

PanelView Plus Security

5 posts in this topic

I am in the process of trying to secure my HMI. It seems a bit confusing. All I want to do is allow everyone viewing privledges but do not allow any data entry unless the user is logged on. I can see how to turn on/off visibility to items, but I want to be able to see the numeric value at all times but have a login popup come up if someone touches the data button. Is there a simple way of doing this? Thanks

Not a 'pop-up' but we create two objects, one a numeric display, the other a numeric entry. Place them on top of each other. Use visibility to enable one or the other.

The simplest thing I can think of is to put a Login button object over the top of your Numeric Entry Enable object, and make its Visibility animation so that it's Visible when the user is not logged in (i.e. the Default user is logged in). Make the object's background Transparent, set the border to a line or deactivate it, and you'll be able to see the Numeric Entry Enable object underneath, but you won't be able to select the Numeric Entry Enable object until the Login button is actually invisible and therefore cannot be activated by the touch action.

Thanks, that worked for me. I didn't use the PanelViews security but just wrote a rung of code comparing a user entered integer with a hard coded numeric password and set a visibility bit based on the comparison. Then I just copied the transparent numeric entry box I built with the visibility attribute and placed it over any input variables I wanted to protect . I added a "Logout" button that would zero the entered integer and also a timer to auto logoff after an hour.

That's about what I do, moving the security into the PLC and using what amount to PIN numbers. FT Security is lovely in practice when you're using SE and a well-administered Windows domain controller, but it falls on its face on the PV+ platform. I recall being told that the PanelView 5000 will have a PIN-number security system option. I suppose we'll see.
1 person likes this