Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chuckrock

Choosing the right software

5 posts in this topic

Not many of you will be familiar with my current problem, but for the TL;DR I might have to do a fresh install on 15 computers that were setup incorrectly causing many headaches. The question is that if I do this daunting task how should I go about it. My situation would be 15 stations, each with a fresh install of windows 7(can't remember what version), 15 X Compact Logix L23E, and 15 X Panel View Plus 400. Also any number of Micro Logix 1100B. I want to approach the install in a manner where I do it right (cross all my t's and dot my i's). I have access to software release OCt/2012 so ver20 for RS logix, etc. Assume that all the computers are already set up on a network, each with their own ip address, and the same intention for all the Compact Logix, and PV+400. "Anything is accessible from any computer on the network." What order should I install in? What software should I install? The Class EDU kits that the school have is so full of programs, and the AB software line is so huge, I don't know where to start. Also; is there a good argument for trying to get install software for version 21, instead of version 20? Again, thanks for any help you may provide.

Chuck, You will need RSLogix 500 for the MicroLogix CPUs- http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/design/rslogix500/orderinginfo.html If you are sure you will never use any SLC CPUs and depending of your budget, you could get away with RSLogix 500 Starter Edition, however, if you wish to get most of the available features, I would recommend the Standard Edition. For the CompactLogix CPUs carrying Firmware Revision 20 or lower you will need RSLogix 5000- http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/design/rslogix5000/orderinginfo.html Again, if you are sure you will never acquire any ControlLogix CPUs you could get away with the Mini Edition, however, I would recommend the Lite Edition in order to explore most of the available features of the CompactLogix family. For CompactLogix CPUs Firmware Revision 21 (the latest) you will need Studio 5000 Logix Designer- http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/design/studio5000/orderinginfo.html; use the same logic as for the RSL5K when it comes to Studio 5000 editions. For the PanelView Plus terminals you will need FactoryTalk View Studio for Machine Edition (ME)- http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/performance/view/orderinginfo.html RSLinx Classic (Lite) is pre-packaged with all the above and needs to be installed only once per machine. I would first install RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000, then RSLogix 500 and at the very end FTVS ME. Install the FactoryTalk Services Platform, FactoryTalk Activation Services and RSLinx Classic only once when first prompted.

First, figure out which edition of Windows 7 these computers are running. If it's a Home Edition, you should stop and reconsider the platform, since RA doesn't support Home Editions of Windows and they are known to not work. RA tries to address compatibility issues by using "Coordinated Product Releases". Ideally, you're going to want to choose one and deploy it. Don't install Studio 5000 (v21). Those CompactLogix controllers L23E controllers won't run v21 firmware. Don't install FactoryTalk View Studio 7. Those PanelView Plus 400's won't run v7 or v6 projects. Don't resign yourself to being restricted to October 2012 software you have on disks. If the school has an educational license, they also have access to updates, and your local RA office will almost certainly bend over backwards to help you get software that might not be covered by the updates. I'm going to go read up on the Product Compatibility website for a minute. Let's predicate our choices on starting with RSLogix 5000 v20.

What I recommend is what RA calls "FactoryTalk CPR9 SR5". RSLinx Classic version 2.59 RSLogix 5000 version 20.03 RSLogix 500 version 8.40 or 9.0 FactoryTalk View Studio ME version 6.10 I would install them in that order. Dmargineau's advice of only installing RSLinx Classic once, when prompted, is a good idea.

Is Factory Talk cpr9 sr5 for the FT Service Platform? When I install FTVSME, I get RsLinx Enterprise. Do I also get Factory Talk Administrators Console, and the directory configuration wizard? Whoa, I just noticed there is PVP 400, and PVP-6 400! Maybe they should have tried a different naming scheme. Anyways, we only have PVP 400, and looks like my version isn't being released anymore. Maybe I can find more cheap! Edited by chuckrock