Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conor

Computing certifications

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I was talking to my IT guy today and there maybe a chance that I could be doing a MicroSoft MCP. I was wondering if anyone had done any of these and which may be the best. As we have an Historian that is built on a server, I thought that one of the server exams woudl be best. I was also looking at Comptia certification. Are these any good either. Conor

If you are using SQL for your "Historian" I would strongly recommend taking a SQL course. Do you have a background in IT? If no I would go over CompTIA A+ software at a min. The Server+ course that I took seemed to cover just the basics and wasn't really worth my time. Just my opinion though.

None of the IT certifications out there are worth much on their own. The joke has always been that Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) really means Microsoft Certified Solitaire Expert. I've taken courses, sent people to courses, and hired folks with certificates from Microsoft, CompTIA and Cisco. If you lack knowledge, the courses can be valuable. The certificates are usually not worth the paper they are printed on, and I would never use them as a key factor in deciding who to hire. None of them test the ability of the candidates in any way, only their knowledge. As an electrical engineer, I can explain to you how to build a microwave audio receiver like they have in the movies, but having never built on, the first 5 I build aren't going to work for anything. In short, if you're taking a course, and the exam is covered and/or cheap, take it. Otherwise, stick to the course. The exams don't buy you much.