Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjrx

FactoryTalk Activation

5 posts in this topic

I have a single node licensed RSLogix500 running on my computer, version 7.10.00. I purchased a new version of RSLogix500 to support a newer processor, paying full price for this. I installed it, activated it via FactoryTalk activation manager and internet, no problems. A few weeks later I wanted to install my older version 7.10.00 on another machine and re-host it there. Problem is, when I go to FactoryTalk activation manager only the new license is shown. How do I get the old licanse to show up in the activation manager? I would think they should both be there, I paid for both. The older RSLogix 7.10.00 is no longer on the computer either, the new install overwrote it. To top it off, I can't get A-B to help unless I buy a support contract.

You will need a Rockwell Automation Master Disk Activation retrieval tool running on USB media such as EVEMOVECF. https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31319

I will look into that - I thought the EVMOVE stuff went away when they started doing the FactoryTalk activation. I haven't seen that since version 5 something.

Search your computer for files with the extension *.LIC When you installed the newer version of RSLogic500 it is possible that a later version of the Activation Manager was installed, and it might be looking in a different location on the PC for the LIC files If so you just need to load in the two location of the LIC files or copy them into the one location

I am very surprised that you bought a new license just to get an upgrade; in almost every situation, the price of a software support contract is much less than the price of a new license. But I don't know about your company or your relationship with your distributor and RA. As far as I know, RA does provide technical support for activations at no charge. You need TechConnect for only a small number of activation-related tasks, like sending of new media or sending of old-style EVRSI activation diskettes. Are you sure that your old version 7.10 software was activated using FactoryTalk Activation ? The advice to search for *.LIC files is sound. I advise that you install the new version of RSLogix 500 onto the new computer... installing the old version 7.10 software will leave you without support for recent controllers or firmware, which is how you started out.