Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elsieb

Problem with a Twido PLC controlling a briquette press

1 post in this topic

Hi Everyone, I have recently purchased a used briquette press on ebay; it is used to compact wood dust into solid cylinders that can then be burned in a stove or open fire. However it is not working correctly. The following link is a youtube video of someone else's machine (exactly the same model) working: The machines are fairly basic, a PLC controls two hydraulic cylinders via 4 solenoid valves with sensors for min/max stroke on the primary compression cylinder and oil pressure/oil temp? The PLC is a Schneider Electric Twido Compact. Basically my problem is the the secondary cylinder does not seem to be opening. As can be seen in the video, when the primary (horizontal) cylinder compresses the wood dust the secondary cylinder (vertical one, attached to the split briquette output tube) is open. When the primary reverses the secondary closes until the compression cycle starts again. Everything seems to be working as it should on my machine except the secondary is continually being closed. You can feel the secondary closing solenoid actuating but never the opening solenoid. Neither can you see the output LED showing any signal being sent to the opening solenoid, so I am assuming its not a mechanical problem. I purchased the cables for connection to the Twido PLC and downloaded TwidoSuite. Attached is a screenshot of the downloaded program from the PLC and the IO page with what I think attaches to each input and output. I have never done any programming before and am a bit confused by the ladder logic. Does anyone understand how the PLC is controlling the machine and see if there are any problem with the logic of the opening of the secondary cylinder? I really appreciate any help, and I hope I have made sense. Elsie