Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Electroman

Voltage Regulation

3 posts in this topic

I did try searching, but couldn't find anything. I am looking to use my CP1H-XA40DT1-D's analog output to drive a pass transistor while monitoring the output of the pass transistor for a regulated power supply. The physical part of it is easy, but for some reason, I can't get my mind wrapped around how to do this in a ladder. I rarely deal with analog's, so I feel like a fish out of water on this. Any help as to how I should approach this, or what I might search for would be a great help. Thanks.

From your description I suspect that you will need to use a PID loop that is sampling the input to regulate the voltage out. The question is .... what voltage are you trying to regulate?? Your maximum output voltage will be 10 volts so the highest level you could get would be about 9.3 volts.

I'll be regulating a few different voltages. I will be using a voltage divider on the analog input to get the range the PLC is looking for, and a voltage amplifier circuit to drive a triple darlington pair to control my output. Making that part of it work will be easy. I never see changing the preset value in the system more that 10-15% from where I set it initially. I just can't get the ladder logic I need figured out. I'm going to try a search for PID loop and read up on that.