Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
asifimfat

Basic Data Transmission Questions

1 post in this topic

I am trying to send some simple production data from a PLC over the internet to be viewed by PC's. I seem to have many choices. First task is to decide on a way to send the data. I have seen DDE, emailing, ethernet packet sending. I am not too familiar with these, but have sent CSV files from Omron ethernet units before. This was a function of the unit itself though. I have purchased two routers with fixed IP sim cards as I cannot get our computing dept to play ball until I have a solid solution in place. I am a controls guy, but my knowledge of the computing and ethernet side is a little limited. With regards ethernet, I am guessing a little here, but could I set up a system to send data packets. Then, if I set up port forwarding on my router/s would this data be sent from one router to the next automatically? At one point I was looking into writing code to send an email, but I struggled to find all of the information required. A function block for this would be very useful. I have seen some, but they only seem to be for text strings. My first goal is to send the data successfully by any means. My second goal is to send it over the internet. My third goal is to find a way to display it effectively (CSV to Excel, web page, DDE in excel). I am using an ABB Codesys 2.3 plc, so this isn't as straight forward as the AB and Omron I'm used to.