Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daryl

Emulate 5000

3 posts in this topic

I've recently purchased RSLogix Emulate 5000, bit disappointed as it's not the product I thought it would be, I thought it would work the same as Emulate 500, but still, I'm sure it'll still provide some level of usefulness. Anyway, my query is this, the systems I'll be emulating will be ControlLogix and CompactLogix, mostly V17 and V19 systems, however, one of my systems is a CompactLogix 1769-L30, which can only be flashed to V13, which it currently is. The Emulate 5000 I have only emulates V17,18 and 19, so can anyone suggest the best course of action for me? Is it possible Rockwell can (without charge) provide a V13 version, or would I have to stump up the cash for another copy and would that still be available? I've had a look at Rockwell's website, but can't find anything relevant to my issue, and advice would be appreciated. thanks... Daryl

My recollection is that RSEmulate didn't get the ability to have multiple versions co-exist until v17. Prior to that you had to uninstall/reinstall to change revisions; not a lot of fun. RA should be able to provide RSEmulate 5000 v13, and if necessary an EVRSI activation for it, under your existing TechConnect contract. You're probably going to want to install it on a virtual machine, though I admit I'm not sure what the options are for communicating to a "remote" Emulator. Your local RA office or RA distributor should be able to confirm the availability of RSEmulate v13 for you.

Thanks Ken. Unfortunately, I don't have a TechConnect contract, but I am going to advise that we set aside a budget for the next financial year to replace the v13 L30 CPU with something like an L32 CPU. I'm recommending we bring any current hardware up to v17 minimum with v19 preferred, and if that means replacing a CPU then it's what I'll do. Just as a side query, why doesn't Emulate 5000 work in the same manner as Emulate 500, load a project file and emulate the hardware, seems straight forward enough for 500 projects, so why not the same with 5000 projects?? Is there any other Rockwell product that does operate the same as Emulate 500? I feel a bit of an idiot as I told my manager that Emualte 5000 would work the same as Emulate 500 and now it doesn't, so I also feel a bit tricked by Rockwell! Thanks... Daryl