Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildswing

Need help with Point I/O setup on ControlNet

4 posts in this topic

Hey fellas, This is my first time working with Point IO and I've run into a snag. It's an OEM setup, so while I wait for their techs to get back to me I figured I try to find out for myself. The project I'm working on is supposed to be "plug & play" (at least the IO side of it). The OEM shipped us an IO cabinet with everything we're supposed to need. We're building the controls, a CLX rack. I spec'd ControlNet. The CLX will have a CNB/A. The IO cabinet includes: 1734 ACNR ControlNet Adapter to which is connected, in this order: 10 IE8C 8ch analog output modulesEP24VDC power supply6 IE8C 8ch analog output modulesEP24VDC power supply12 OE4C 4ch analog input modulesEP24VDC power supply6 IB8 8pt discrete input modules4 OB8 8pt discrete output modulesEP24VDC power supplyPoint IO extension cable22 OEM specific air valves (in groups of 4,4,2,4,4,4) in a custom Point IO chassisI created my IO config offline but I get this error message when I try to download to the processor... Error: MyCnetAdapter: The number of connections configured for this module has exceeded the limit. I then removed modules one by one started at the air valve end. I have to delete 5 of the 6 air valve modules before I can download. I try to schedule, but cannot get all of the modules happy. Lots of yellow warnings. So after doing some digging I see there's limits to how many "connections" the ACNR can have. Analog modules use 1 connection each. I have the ACNR set up with Rack Optimization, as I understand this helps minimize connections for the discrete IO. I assume the answer will be to add another ACNR node (or two), right? What would be the best way to divide this up? Is the limit of 25 connections a reliable limit to how many modules can be on one node, or is it best practice to limit to something less than that? .TXT file attached is renamed RSL5000 .L5K file. I'm running on an L55 v16.2. Any help y'all can provide would be very much appreciated. * On a side note, the air valve modules will configure, but won't schedule. RSNetWorx comes back and says, "Insert address 02, slot ## failed because the device cannot be inserted into the specified slot." I will leave that to their tech guys to resolve. I don't expect you fellas to figure that one out, but just FYI, here's the config for the blocks... The OEM air valve stuff is from Bürkert in Germany. They gave me the connection parameters to use in generic modules. They're stuff takes up 6 slots. Each block of 4 usesInput 139 / 4Output 33 / 1Configuration 120 / 6 [*]The block of 2 uses Input 139 / 4Output 32 / 1Configuration 120 / 6 PLC_C2_IOCONFIG.TXT

You are "pushing" it a bit... It looks like you'll have to add one more 1734-ACNR. However, since the number of connections allowed by the 1734-ACNR is depending of the CNet parameters (NUT, API) and the adapter's connection RPI, try increasing the values of the NUT, API and the RPI of the 1734-ACNR up to a value acceptable to both the CPU's CNet scheduling and your application's requirements. You might just be able to get by for a while! Edited by dmargineau

I just heard back from the OEM. They're sending another ACNR so I can split the IO. I plan to put all the inputs on one "rack" and outputs on another. I've never done that before. How & where would I start? Can you provide a link to a doc I can read. Always eager to learn new stuff.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1734-um008_-en-p.pdf Chapter 3.