Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Timmy318

Wonderware BindList on different tables

2 posts in this topic

I have been given the task of reworking an old HMI setup by some outside vendors and after going through all the screens and scripts in wonderware v8.0.1 I am having some problems understanding how the bindlist is being used. I am in no way an expert in SQL but have some general knowledge...making me dangerous. Anyway there is an SQL database that has 6 different tables in it. Each table has a different amount of columns ranging from 4 to 16. In wonderware you create a bindlist to make the tags match up to the column names, but here is where I am confused. The previous creater made one bind list and uses it for every query. The bindlist has about 35 different entries that are all from one of the 6 different tables. So my questions is when the connectionID string is something like select grade from table1 where id > 3 (ignore syntax just conceptial) what happens to the other entries on the bind list? Table1 does not have the columns for all of the entries on the bindlist? I would have done a bindlist for each table so it would be easier to follow....except for when you have to do a join....sigh. Any help and guidance that could clear up my head would be greatly appreciated. If more information is needed please let me know and I will provide. Thanks in advance

Ok so binding is usually a method of getting information on the fly, instead of quering your database everytime you want to retrieve data the binding will retrieve whatever you bind and store it in your cache so that you don't have to constantly wait for database retrieval. If the binding has the correct settings and the data provides the proper notifications, then, when the data changes its value, the elements that are bound to the data reflect changes automatically. Data binding can also mean that if an outer representation of the data in an element changes, then the underlying data can be automatically updated to reflect the change. For example, if the user edits the value in a TextBox element, the underlying data value is automatically updated to reflect that change. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms752347.aspx The other entries should be on your database still rafaelmankilla http://www.hmisoftware.org