Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rob5029

Factory Talk Activation Tool / Manager

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I have RSLinx and RSLogix 5000 installed on my laptop (windows XP Pro SP3) activated to a USB dongle using the activation Tool. I wanted to intall the software on my desktop PC as well (Windows 7 Pro 64bit) however this wouldnt see the dongle. after speeking to Rockwell technical support I was instructed to install the Activation Manager, so now the dongle is visible to windows, and i've coppied the *.LIC file accross, but whnever i try and start the software, it says Product activation failed. Any idea where i might be going wrong? is it because i created the file with the activation tool, and not the manager? any assistance greatly appreciated.

I am still using XP SP3, so I am not sure if this is related or not, but sometimes my USB dongle (HASP) is not recognized if I plug it in after Windows has started. You could try restarting or logging in as a different user. Also, with FT View I have to restart the license server to get it to read the HASP. Using the Activation Tool, go to the Settings tab, then toward the bottom Service Configuration. Click Stop then Start again. Go Back to the Current Activations tab and click refresh. I don't remember ever having to do this for Logix or Linx, but it might be related. Hope this helps. Ian

If you are using the Rockwell USB Dongle then i think all you need to do is copy the activation files from your laptop to your other PC. The activation files are located in document-all users-rockwell automation - activations. Or something close to that. I have Win 7 so the structure is a bit different on win 7 the activations are users-public-public document-rockwell automation-activations. These are the files that tie your dongle to the activation. This is one of the main advantages of the dongle it allows you to have the activations on many computers. The dongle is as i understand it simply a mac address that the activations need to see to run the programs. Hope this helps