Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob O

ControlLogix with Mitsubishi Drive

6 posts in this topic

I’m have been asked to place a Mitsubishi drive F740 on DeviceNet and control it with an existing ControlLogix. Does anyone have a program example of reading/writing to the drive that they would share? Thanks

It's been a solid decade since I had to connect to a Mitsubishi drive over DeviceNet. It was probably an E-series, built by [REDACTED] out of British Columbia, and we were using a PLC-5C15 and 1788-CN2DN. So that's not a whole heck of a lot of help. A demo ended up in my hands but nobody would admit to having sent it, so I kept it for nine years and tossed it just last November. One thing I will add, though it's not a good thing; the drive couldn't detect Program Mode or a PLC fault. If the PLC went into Program Mode while the drive was running it just kept on running. It did properly detect DeviceNet power failure, though, so we wired an ordinary PLC output to the DeviceNet power supply and intentionally crashed the network when the PLC went into Program Mode. Do you have a link to the manual for the modern interface ?

Here is what I am told I will be using..haven't seen it yet https://my.mitsubishi-automation.com/downloads/view/doc_loc/1393/158048.pdf?id=1393&saveAs=0&form_submit=View+now https://my.mitsubishi-automation.com/downloads/view/doc_loc/1777/162641.pdf?id=1777&saveAs=0&form_submit=View+now I did download the EDS and I will see if I can see the drive on the network tomorrow but I can't really test much for control since they are running production. Thanks for the reply Ken.

Unless it's a complex application, this should be easy; just use the ordinary Assembly 20/70 or the Assembly 21/71 configurations. These were the same assemblies we used ten years ago. One thing I noticed is that the manual seems to suggest giving the drive 50 ms between commands... I'm not sure if that includes ordinary DeviceNet Polls. You might have to set the drive up as a Background Polled device, or add some Inter-Scan Delay, depending on how many devices you're running on the network now.

Yeah this isn't a complicated project it's just me being green to DeviceNet and that I don't actually get the DNet to add the new drive to the scan list and set the I/O until Thursday afternoon when this has to be running Friday morning for the dog and pony show. Thanks again for helping

Update Ken was correct in that this wasn’t that difficult even for the green guy but I do have a question. I created a UDT and all works fine except being able to read a parameter from the drive. I think that the data format I set in the UDT isn’t correct and could use some help. https://my.mitsubishi-automation.com/downloads/view/doc_loc/1777/162641.pdf?id=1777&saveAs=0&form_submit=View+now I chose Input Instance 176 and Output Instance 126. So using Output Instance 126 on page 44 of the manual Byte 1 = SINT Byte 4 = SINT ….This is the one I think is incorrect but couldn’t test because they were running. Byte 5 = SINT I was attempting to read the output current from the drive but got nothing while it was running and the motor was pulling 93A. This is what I was sending..I think Page 74 of the manual. Byte1 = 1 Byte 4 = 80 which should have been 0x80 and this is the part I missed. Byte 5 = 12 I have attached the UDT if anyone wants to look at them. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks, Bob Mitsubishi_F700_O.zip