Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daryl

Factory Acceptance Testing

3 posts in this topic

My company has a new system being developed with a ControlLogix plc and a SCADA system for touch-screen operation. It's a fairly basic system, only controlling a few valves and a pump and monitoring instruments for safety. I've only recently become involved in the control systems for my company as no-one else has been, so there's a few things I still need to learn. I'm doing well enough with learning PLCs and the software we use, been on a few courses, but it's real-world experience I need to gain now. On that note, the purpose of this post is to ask opinions on an acceptance test being performed by the installation manufacturer so we can hammer out any details or issues with the system before we accept it as what we want. What I'd like to know is, as the control systems guy, would it benefit me to attend the factory at this stage and to see the system first hand before it's delivered and installed? I'd like to have a decent justification before I go running to the boss to say I should go. Also, if I do go, what kind of things should I be looking out for? Essentially, I will be supporting this system once it's been commissioned, any troubleshooting needing done, or future modifications will be my responsibility. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. thanks... Daryl

Absolutely. If you are responsible for controls and will have to deal with the gap between what the manufacturer made and what your company needs, you should go. There are always little 'tweaks' that need to be made in order to make your operators more comfortable or to meet the needs of maintenance, process engineers, management, etc. It is a good idea to try to get as many of these items taken care of before it reaches your facility. We try to send an operator or production manager, a maintenance person, process engineer, mechanical engineer and a controls engineer when we purchase a piece of equipment. It is not always possible or practical to send all of those people, but it does make for a smoother installation and runoff. If nothing else, it helps build a rapport with the actual designers and installers that may come in handy in the future. The types of things to look for (partial list, of course): - Ease of use - Normal start and stop of machine - start of machine from a powered-down state - HMI screens that have the right information and not too much info the operators will not need - Test the safety system devices. Prove the system is safe when it says it is - Interrupt the safety system during normal operation and see how the machine 'recovers' from a stoppage. Do the stop and recovery procedure yourself to check this function. It can show weaknesses in the system if someone other than the manufacturer's staff does this. - Think like the operator and try to simulate real-world situations - Check for complete electrical, fluid power and mechanical prints. Request electronic versions of the prints for future modification, if necessary. - Check for proper documentation including safety risk assessment, user manual(s), replacement parts, etc. This list could be nearly endless, depending on the complexity of the machine or process. I hope this helps.

Thanks Dr, that certainly does help! Also, one of what may be considered the least important points you made, about building a rapport with the designers, now that I think about it, could be very important in the long run. But most of the points you've made will help me no end to justify this and possibly future trips. thanks... Daryl