Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gitargr8

Profibus Network Configuration

2 posts in this topic

Hello, I recently inherited a project to commission a palletizer that was moved from one facility to another. The unfortunate part (for me) is that is utilizes a Siemens S7-315 DP PLC with various pieces of remote I/O that communicate over Profibus. Also, all the electrical drawings are in German, a language which I am only familiar with curse words and phrases picked up from WWII movies. I am a complete Siemens newb, but I managed to figure out how to upload the program and get online. When I go to the HW Config screen, I'm a bit puzzled because it only shows 3 stations; the local rack, a small rack on an IM-365, and something called DP-Norm (see attached image). According to the drawings, and my own documentation of the fieldbus nodes, there should be 7 nodes at addresses 9, 13, 15, 16, 17, 23, and 24. Station 13, for example is an ET-200L block I/O module, which happens to be in the same control cabinet as the PLC. When I power it up, and connect the Profibus cable, making sure the terminating resistors are on at the correct places, the Buss Fault light stays lit on the ET-200L module. I looked this error up, and it means that no master has polled its data. There are two ports on the PLC, it looks like one is MPI and the other is DP. I'm assuming that DP is the one I want, but I've tried them both to no avail. I'm probably missing something vital, but I imagine that you set up some kind of table for each node address where you specify how much input and output data will be sent / received, similar to how DeviceNet works. Where is this done in SIMATIC Manager? It's also a good possibility that I'm looking at the wrong PLC, as there is also a B&R processor in the cabinet which talks to the Siemens over Profibus. Thanks in advance for any input, ~Ryan

Turns out I was in the wrong PLC, next cabinet over has a PLC with the nodes I was looking for configured.