Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildswing

Need help with setup of PanelView+ to CLX via CNet

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I've started work on an in-house project that includes setting up a PV+ 1000 as a node on a Cnet network to talk to a CLX (L62) processor and need some advice on the proper or preferred way to set things up. Sorry for the length of this post. I'm a newbie at this, so please bear with me. This is my first ever PV+ to CLX via ControlNet. My only other experience is PV to PLC5 via DH+ or RIO. Example: I just found out I need to buy RSView ME. Background Info: My company bought a used strapping machine from a defunct facility [it's almost identical to an existing strapper we have that's being run by a SLC 5/04]. The PV+ was purchased separately by someone else from another source. They chose it because it had Cnet capability. It's after this that I enter the picture, "Hey, look what we bought. Can you make this work?" The PV+ will be used for simple auto/manual, cycle start, other operator input selections, feedback of machine cycle status and alarm annunciation. Almost all will be discrete with maybe a few analog values. Nothing super time critical. The strapper came with a Siemens PLC. I found that out after it arrived. We're all AB here. The powers that be recommended that we should send the PLC program conversion work to a local community college [electrical technology class] that had been bugging us for a real world project (via a government program). The electrical lead for the installation (has CLX programming experience) set them up with CLX files and tag arrays to use. Now we have an updated CLX program that contains boolean, integer, timer and counter arrays assigned to that machine center (all controller tags). The ladder logic uses those array tags. 1 - Maybe I'm being nit picky here but the issue I see is that there's no specific arrays for HMI interface. For example, the boolean array (256 elements) contains a mix of bits for the HMI and internal plc use. As is, with my understanding, I'm going to have to set up individual tags in the PV and pick and choose from within the CLX array. Can I set up an array in the PV? If yes, and I set the target as the existing CLX boolean array, I'll be overwriting those bits that are being used internally in the CLX. My assuption is that the PV will write 0 to those tags. Does that make sense? What's the preferred or correct way to set up tags in both the CLX and PV? Should I be setting up new CLX tag arrays just for I/O to/from the PanelView? 2 - I've been reading through the PV+ and Cnet manuals. I'm wondering about the Cnet setup at either end. There's a choice between scheduled and unscheduled setup. I understand the technical difference. Scheduled is a lot more involved. AB tech support says 99.9% of PV users use unscheduled. What are your thoughts? 3 - In RSL5000 I see that I have 2 selections for a PV if I create a new module in the Cnet IO config. One is 2711P-RN15S/A and the other PanelView. My PV+ 1000 has a 2711P-RN15S module on the back. I've played with the selections using an offline copy of the program. The first is what's mentioned in the PV ControlNet module manual for scheduled comms. The latter sets up IO tags which include 32 element single integer arrays in and out. Other than that, what's the difference between the two selections? Once again, I apologize for the length of the post. Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Use unscheduled. That way you won't need to use RSNetworx for ControlNet, nor will you need to mess with I/O configs in RSLogix or FTView Studio. Take a look at KnowledgeBase AID 32637

Thanks for the quick reply. Just to satisfy my curiosity, is there any advantage to grouping the panelview's tags in the CLX in an array? I'm wondering if it's more efficient as opposed to the panelview having to read/write tags from various locations. Can an array be set up in the PV with it's target being a similar array in the CLX? That way you name the target once instead of for each individual tag. Maybe I'm way off base here since I have no experience yet with setting up the tags in this PV+. Thanks for the KB number.

Yes, it will be more efficient for the tags to be located in arrays in the CLX. Unfortunately you cannot build that same array structure for HMI tags in FTView Studio, but if you're looking to simplify the HMI tag creation, you can import and export tags to CSV file, and edit it in Excel. But just to note, using direct reference tags are more efficient for runtime performance. Take a look at KnowledgeBase AID 36270. This is an article highlighting best practices for HMI and direct reference tags.

Thanks again! Your help is very much appreciated.

You're welcome!