Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
josedavidch

printing on zebra s4m from cpm1h

3 posts in this topic

Hi I have been trying to send a command string to a zebra printer thru port 2 on cpm1h with no success so far. I have the plc correctly setup matching settings with zebra as 9600,8,1,N. Using a hostlink cable I can send the string to my laptop (using realterm or hyperterminal) and capture it , then from laptop, using a null cable, send it to printer. Printer prints ok. The problem: either host link or serial null does not work from plc to printer. Does someone have experience doing this job with these devices and can enlight me on what cable should be used or any other trick related?

Since you require a Null Modem between the PC and Printer, this means that both devices are wired as DTE equipment. So, the same cable that goes between the PC and PLC should also work between the PLC and Printer. The PLC will require that RTS / CTS (pins 4 and 5) be satisfied by 1 of 2 methods. 1. The printer supports RTS / CTS, and the cable correctly connects RTS and CTS on the PLC with CTS and RTS on the Printer. 2. Jumper pins 4 and 5 on the PLC to satisify RTS / CTS. In your ladder code, are you using the RS232 Port Ready to Transmit bit for port 2? This is A392.05 if I remember correctly. Monitor the Ready to Transmit bit while the PLC is connected to the printer. After you transmit, does the Ready to Transmit bit turn back on? If not, this is a good indication of RTS / CTS not being satisfied. Edited by PMCR

Yes! Great support. We have figured it out. Attaching correct cable for any further reference. Thanks also to Mike Walsh from Omron who worked directly assiting me on this matter. Edited by josedavidch