Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
techyfunky

Tuning AB Servo motor

4 posts in this topic

Hi all! Well i am have a compact logix (L23E) controller and AB MPL series servo motor in the system.With reference to Drive I have Ultra3000 and Kinetix300, can use any of them. Both the drives has Auto tuning option.I am familiar with this auto tuning feature which can be done with the software given along with the drive( Ultraware and Motion view). My Question are 1. "Is it possible to carry out this auto tuning option from the PLC itself, by passing some commands through the communication link between PLC and the Drive(Devicenet or Ethernet messages).?" 2. "Using the Kinetix drive by sending messages over ethernet I was able to set the drive to Auto tune mode..?but couldnt proceed further...?" Have anyone done anything like this earlier...? any suggestions...? With respect to manual tuning of the servomotor, I dont have any idea how to set the tuning values when the load on the system changes. Any help to aviod the usage of drive software for tuning the system will be help full...!

Hi! Well i came to a conclusion after looking through AB catalogues and manual that the above mentioned operation cannot be carried out in compact logix platform. though its my own conclusion I will be really happy to see a second opinion on it. With Control logix 1756Lxx controller and Kinetix 6500 modular drive full motion control can be implemented with CIP motion control Commands.

Interesting, why do you feel this must be done in the PLC? In some cases the auto tuning requires a lot of CPU power and that would slow the PID down to a crawl for a second. This is one of the 'water cooler' topics at Delta. Why not tune continuously. It can be done but the CPU requirements are high.

What do you gain by putting the servo into tune mode from the PLC? Servo tuning should only be done at changeout of hardware (motor or servo amplifier), and with the motor uncoupled from a load.