Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlexV

TCP/IP connections

9 posts in this topic

Hi, First off I'm new to the world of A-B, I come from a Siemens (only) background but this project for work requires me to work with A-B plc's, so... I'm trying to connect a camera-based barcode reader (MV420) by Siemens together with A-B PLC's. After some digging I've found that A-B works with EtherNet/IP with on it's application layer the CIP protocol. So I can't use the MSG function from in rslogix 5000. I've read somewhere that there are products that support "bare" TCP/IP packet sending/receiving (sockets), but I'm having trouble finding such hardware. In the production environment we're using a 1769-L35E, and the documentation doesn't say a word about TCP/IP communication, only about EtherNet/IP. So, I basically have three questions: - Is there a way to send tcp/ip packets on the 1769-L35E? - Is there a guide somewhere or function blocks I can use, to program with TCP sockets on an A-B PLC? - If the 1769-L35E doesn't support sockets, which PLC('s) or even expansion module for the 1769 does support it? Thanks in advance for any advice and help. Alex.

Not that good with siemens but look at a prosoft card MVI69-GEC. It may give you what you need, is there a reason you are set on this bar code scanner, may be better to use AB or a Encompass partner product for your scanner. MVI69-GEC

This web document states that the L35E CPU supports up to 32 TCP/IP connections http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2...21606/tab3.html Page 22 of 1769-UM011F-EN-P CompactLogix Users Manual states that "The Ethernet/IP communication modules...encapsulate messages within standard TCP/UDP/IP protocol." This vague statement leads me to believe that th TCP/IP packets are to be sent within the CIP framework.

I've never heard of a AB being able to communicate anything other than Ethernet/IP from their ports. Over the years I have done several projects in which I had to communicate to Siemens, Modicon, and other devices over ethernet from a AB PLC. Each time I used a prosoft module to do it. They are not very easy to set up, but work well. Edited by noxcuses

Oh, man. I think I've done something similar. Will his data come in reversed, meaning will he have to use the abcd -> dcba function? I think that was profibus... maybe I'm off base here.

It is said 1756-EWEB can be used as socket programming to talk with other TCP/IP products...... I am not sure whether 1769 has the similar products...

Maybe you were thinking of modbus, I used a prosoft card to talk to some GE hardware using modbus and the date did come in backwards and some of the date was swapped, ie int file 1001000100101010 in Ge Hardware came into the plc as int file 0010101010010001

Thanks for all the quick replies! Well, our employer just bought six of them