Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
semilogical

SLC-5/04 Channel 0 Modbus Communications

7 posts in this topic

I am working with a panel view plus for a project. I have to ship this unit pre-setup for Modbus communications via the serial port. I have been using KepServer v4.5, FT Studio ME V5.10 and Firmware Release 5.10.01. According to all I know (which isn't much) I have configured the system correctly. HOWEVER; the PVP will not communicate with the KepServer and Modscan32. I have a spare SLC-504 I can use as a Modbus Master, but I've never setup the Channel for anything but normal comms. There is a place in the help that says Create Modbus data table, but I can't find anywhere in the software that points me in that direction. In the ML1100 you have some choices that are very apparent. Any help form anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Is the PanelView supposed to be the Modbus Master or the Modbus Slave ? Does the Modbus communications work on the Development computer ? KepServer drivers only get loaded onto a PanelView Plus when you perform a firmware upgrade with the Modbus drivers configured to be installed. Have you done that ?

What do you mean by "pre-setup"? Are you creating the ME application? If not, then comms setup should just be left up to the ME application developer. Otherwise Ken has all the right questions. Also please note, (and this may sound a bit confusing) when you or whoever is creating the ME application in FTView Studio, you will still need to create a RSLinx Enterprise (RSLE) configuration, even though you may not be using RSLE communications in your application. This is because the PVP has a Serial DF1 driver configured by default (which will claim your COM1 port), and the only way to delete it is to configure a RSLE configuration in your application that doesn't have the DF1 driver in it. And even though the default RSLE configuration in FTView Studio actually doesn't have a DF1 driver configured by default, you still have to create the configuration otherwise the PVP won't load any configuration over it's default (did that all make sense?). So in short... just create a new RSLE configuration and make sure to click OK to save it (otherwise it doesn't really create the config). And then replace comms when loading the app on the PVP.

The PVP is a Modbus Slave. I reloaded all software and firmware. KepServer = V4.500.462 Firmware = V5.10.01.09 (CPR 9 SP2) FT View Studio ME = V5.10.00 (CPR 9 SP2) I do get an unexpected diagnostic when I start the PVP. Opening project \Storage Card\KEPServerEnterprise\default.pfe The comms name in the KEPServer is Channel1.TEG.Integer I only have one tag loaded for testing. Following the opening project que I get [Factory Talk]: The item is no loner available: Channel1.TEG.Integer. I've gone back and forth with the softwares and firmware. Nothing seems to work.

The Comms for Enterprise is configured and only holds the Ethernet for program transfer. I also blew out all comms and tried loading with the compact flash. Still no luck.

When you create a *.MER file, FTView Studio loads the KepServer configuration (*.PFE) file that is pointed to by the "Default Configuration File" field in KepServer. It does not necessarily use the *.PFE file that is currently open, or the one that has most recently been open ! In KepServer, go to the Tools -> Options to see the path and filename that are considered the "Default Configuration File". Usually it's C:\Program Files\KEPServerEnterprise\Projects\default.pfe. If your configuration file isn't pointed to by that path, change that path to point to your file (or change your file so that it's called default.pfe and is at that path) then create a *.MER file again.

Like Ken stated earlier, test that it works on your development PC first. Verify with just the OPC Quick Client. SLC to PC will require the CP3 cable, whereas from SLC to PVP will require an NC13 or NC14. Can you upload your PFE and RSS file?