Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
damper

ENIW network troubles

2 posts in this topic

I'm having issues connecting a ENIW to a network. Here is the setup, a Micrologix 1500 LRP is located about 450 ft. from a server I have one switch within the enclosure the Micrologix is in and another switch about half way between the server and the PLC. All cables made are straight pin layout. All cables are tested and working properly, from the switch within the enclosure I can connect to the ENIW. From the second switch I can not connect to the ENIW with or without the first switch connected. I've by-passed the second switch with a inline coupler and able to connect to the ENIW from the server location (direct hook up +-450') which wasn't expecting due to a long run. I've tried to connect to the ENIW directly (no switches '1 inline coupler') and did not connect which I was expecting due to a long run. It seems like an cable problem but, I'm not 100% sure due to the fact I can connect to the controller from the server location. I've assigned the IP address as per the network tech so the server should be fine... What do you guys think? - Thanks

Use ping. Use wireshark. Ping is the Ethernet equivalent of "ringing" a wire. Wireshark is the Ethernet equivalent of a "scope". It shows you directly what is passing down the cable. Check the Ethernet stats too to see what's going on according to the NIC's. The type of errors that you are getting is a direct indication of whether it's a cable problem or something else. If you see a bunch of ARP packets and no response, then you could just be seeing an addressing or configuration problem such as incorrect network masks.