Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
semilogical

Are there any function block guru's here?

2 posts in this topic

I've created a BMS program in ladder logic, so far it's pretty solid in it's operation. I need to create add-on function blocks to make programming easier for my counterparts at work. I do most of the programming but on occasion one of the other guys needs to do the same type of program. I figure that I can create a few add-on's that will take away some of the more advanced aspects of my program. Not that my program is out there, but some of the other guys do not understand indirect addressing and some of the other techniques I use well enough to follow my lead when developing a program. When they do a system checkout on my programs they all comment on how easy it is to follow. With FB they won't be needing to understand the inner workings of the Add-on's, just how to populate the pins. Any pointers to literature or a library of add-ons that are already out there and available would be helpful. IT'S FRIDAY - Ya all have a great weekend.

AB has been amassing a set for process control. It's in the sample code library on their web site in pieces but I've also seen it from our local vendor as a package. AOI's are not limited to FB only both internally and externally. You can use any language. One huge problem though with AOI's is that it becomes very convenient to develop UDT's similar to for instance the timer and PID structures to prepackage the data for your AOI, and even better would be local (private) static and dynamic variables. There is no easy way to prepackage these together though, and private variables have to be user allocated (hence UDT's).