Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wnbresn

Creating a multicolumn list with editable values in FTview ME

4 posts in this topic

Ok I have Factorytalk View ME and I need to create some multicolumn lists with editable numeric values.. This list will be between 4 and 8 columns wide with some columns being able to have the number values they display being edited to new values.. There do not seem to be numeric display list ablilitys in ME or am I wrong? I see control lists and display lists but no much else...Any ideas? BTW this unit will be talking to a controllogix plc. Years ago I did something like this with a panelview but each value had to be individually created and it was an absolute pain to set up.. I hoped this would be easier.. Thanks for any help or sample code you could provide...

It doesnt look like any of the built in lists boxes will do the trick. Have you looked at trying to use an ActiveX control?

No, a spreadsheet/list object does not exist as you describe. If you are going to create more that one table for edit, I would recommend that you use Global Objects. Yes, you will need to create 1 numeric input for every "cell", but should only need to do that once. Create a new Global Object graphic. On that graphic, create your rows/columns with the Numeric Input Cursor Point object. If you need to modify all of the object properties at the same time (say, make the colour green) open the Property Panel (View menu) and select all the objects. Now you can modify them at the same time. Group all the objects together, creating a single Global Object. Open the Object Explorer (view menu) to easily select each object as you go along. To each Numeric Input Object, assign a paramter connection (ex. #1, #2, ... #n). If you want to get really clever, assign a partial tag parameter such as {#1.Element[1]}, {#1.Element[2]}....etc. Later on, when you make a tag connection to ControlLogix you can point that partial parameter to a single UDT or AOI structure in the controller. Right-click on your new Global Object (ie. the grouping of all those NICPs) and select Global Object Parameter Definitions. In the Name column, enter each of the parameters that you used. For example, if you had used #1 - #20 consecutively then enter each of those in the Name column. If you wish, you can enter text in the Description field for each parameter (ex. boiler1 temp1, etc...) That description will come up later when you actually place the Global Object on a display. If you chose to go the partial parameter route, with a ControlLogix UDT or AOI, then you should only have to enter one parameter assignment here. That will define the base UDT or AOI. Save the Global Object display. Now you can copy paste that Global Object where ever you want in your application. After you paste it in, right-click on the new instance and select Global Object Parameter Values. A dialog will pop-up and allow you to assign tag connections to each of the parameters you defined (your text description will appear here as well). Again, if you used the UDT or AOI idea you will only need to assign that base UDT/AOI, making just browse into the controller. All of those subelements (.Element[1], .Element[2] , ...) are all associated with the base UDT/AOI. Yes, you will need to create each cell (once), but making use of the Global Objects, parameters, and the editing windows (Object Explorer and Properties Panel) will be much faster/easier than it was with the old PanelView.

Well still working on this problem an I thought I had a solution until I found that it seems Rockwell has an unusual idea of what constitutes a space. I decided what I could do was use a control list selector and in each state I would first put a piece of text then 10 spaces then insert a variable with 10 digits and I would select the insert spaces for that variable then another ten spaces and insert another variable setup the same way and so on until I had 6 variables each of 10 digits and each set to insert spaces if there were not ten digits. I then did this to several of the states so what I came up with was a list of 10 states with each state holding 6 variables each spaced equally.. I assumed that each of the columns would line up because they had all been set up with the same sizes and spaces between the variable and the variables had all been set to fill the unused digits with spaces, It did'nt work.. Evidently inserting spaces is the same as setting it to insert nothing..numbers with just a single digit all shoved over . The only way I could get the columns to line up was if I instead of setting each variable to insert spaces I set it to insert zeros..Then everything came out looking lined but but loaded down with zeros... So is this a bug? I mean if I set a variable to fill with spaces should it not then hold its positon? It acts just like if I set it to none on the selection..