Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RLMTS

RSView32 - Project Load Time?

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I have just installed RSView32 v7.4 CPR9 to my XP Pro PC. A 'back up' (using the 'transport' utility from a working project on one of our machines) was restored to this new installation, again using the 'Transport' utility. I have 2 questions... 1. The project takes at least 5 minutes to load into RSView32 Works, but it does not fail to load. Can anyone explain why this may be happening? 2. Also, on the first load of this backed up and restored project, RSView complains that the tag database has been accessed by a 3rd party software and may need re synchronising. (It has not been accessed by 3rd party software, it came from a machine with the same version of RSView32) Message given.... "The Tag Database has been accessed by another Project, or by third party software. If any changes were made, the Tag Database will have to be re-synchronized. Would you like to synchronize now?" Any ideas anyone?

I don't know if this will solve your issue but I thought I would throw it out there just in case.... It has been a few years but I had problems with the backup and transport utility from Rockwell. Our work around and it came from the local Rockwell rep was to just zip the file since that's all the utility was doing. No more problems. Also, I don't think the project can be running while doing either of the above. Hope this helps.

Thanks Bob, I could try that, but since my earlier post I tried loading the "samples.rsv" project that came with RSView32, the 'load' still hangs for 5 mins or more at the 40% mark!? I tried looking at Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del) to see if something was very busy, but nothing jumped out at me? "System Idle Process 99%" Was wondering about Anti-Virus software perhaps? I wonder if anyone knows how to interrogate the PC to see what is actually happening whilst it hangs at 40%? Also, when hovering the mouse over the RSView32 window it shows the old 'egg timer' and once minimised or covered by another window of any sort, it will not come back into 'focus' until the loading has completed. Strange!

The KB 8274 gives the % and the steps while loading. At 40% it is Connecting to Server and Sets Licensed tag limit of licence into the tag database (ICE) subsystem.<h3 id="rn_summary"> </h3>

Thanks Bob, I have now resolved the problem. It was RSLinx, or the lack of it! I didn't think RSLinx was needed for doing 'offline' work (well it isn't if you are prepared to wait 7 minutes for project to load!) My 'Firewall' was preventing RSLinx from running on my home PC (which is where I am currently working on the project) I didn't realise until I opened the RSLinx Control Panel and tried to start it... big screen splash saying Firewall had prevented access! But I didn't get that 'splash' whilst project was stalled during load? Clicked on 'always allow' and has loaded ok since. At the 40% mark I now see the RSLinx 'chain' icon appear in the Windows 'Notification Area' Once again, thanks for your help.